Tissue Paper Background

Updated 9/1/07 I've had a few people ask me if I allowed each of my layers to dry in between. I did use my heat gun to dry each layer before I moved on to the next one. Thanks for all the great comments!

Over the weekend I tried out a background technique I saw in last months issue of Cloth Paper Scissors. I'm very happy with the way it turned out but this took hours to do and I'm not sure if I will do it again.
I started out with a sheet of tissue paper that I placed on top of a sheet of freezer wrap on my kitchen counter. Taping the freezer wrap to the counter stopped the wrap from curling and it then laid flat on my counter. I did not cut down the first sheet of tissue paper so my large background piece was as big as a standard sheet of tissue paper. I then glued dictionary and book pages down onto the tissue paper with waterd down elmers glue as my first layer.
I then added another layer of tissue paper torn into pieces over the book pages.Then I painted a layer of water color paint on. Then came another layer of torn tissue paper and more water color paint. After two layers of paint and more tissue paper I stamped some leaf images with StazOn ink in black and olive green. I did not like the way the black ink stood out so starkly so I then smeared some gesso over the inked images to tone them down a bit. I also dabbed some of the gesso off with a baby wipe.
On went another layer of torn tissue paper. I added some wallpaper images of a bird, nest and feathers then added another layer of torn tissue paper. I painted onto this layer a layer of acrylic paint. When the paint was dry I added another layer of torn tissue paper and so on and so on for another couple of layers.
When my final layer was completly dry I then stamped the same leaf images only this time I used a golden yellow and avocado green acrylic paint. By this point I had had enough of working on this piece. When the leaf images were dry I added another layer of gesso, brushing some on and wiping off with a baby wipe until I was happy.
This was alot of work. I probably left out a few layers that I did but you get the idea. The picture above is a small section that I cut out of the larger piece. You can't tell from the picture but the background is a bit wavy. I'm going to mist it down and press it between some freezer paper and hope the waves come out of it.
Thanks for stopping by !
Arlene

Comments

Anonymous said…
this is beautiful!! see what you can do when you don't have me to talk to!! lol
Sheri said…
do you have to let it dry between adding all the layers? or can just keep adding layers?
i think its beautiful!
sheri
Judy said…
Hi,
I am a lurker on the inkjet transfer group and saw your latest post with your blog address so I thought I'd stop by.
I've been toying with the idea of doing some "work" with tissue paper and when I saw your piece, I was instantly captivated! I also wondered about whether you have to let each layer dry before working on the next. I'm thinking about adapting this to Christmas Cards...what do you think. I'll have to see if I have that issue of Cloth Paper Scissors. Isn't it a great magazine!!
Thanks for your lengthy explanation of your technique.

Judy

Popular posts from this blog

Art Journaling

Lemon Balm Dye

International Charm Day Give Away